Preparing for University
University and college entrance (ucas)
Application to University or College is overseen by the pupil’s personal tutor with advice from the Head of Higher Education and Careers.There are many different paths students can take after leaving college. Lord Wandsworth provides students with tutoring, open days and career fairs to ensure that they make the right choice for themselves.
- Attend a presentation on Higher Education and the university application process.
- Visit a HE fair and the LWC Careers Fair.
- Opportunity to complete the COA Centigrade questionnaire to give ideas about appropriate University courses to match abilities and interests.
- Start exploring provisional ideas for University courses.
- Visits to University open days pre-application.
- Receive estimated AS and A level grades from subject teachers so that appropriate courses can be selected.
- Visits to open days continue, after AS module examinations.
- Attend a workshop on how to complete the application online, and how to prepare a personal statement. Visiting speakers come to the College to help with this.
- Provide tutor with a draft personal statement.
- Tutor prepares a confidential reference to support the application.
- See the Head of Higher Education to get application form checked before sending it to the admissions service (UCAS).
- Start to receive responses from Universities and invitations to interviews.
- Receive final invitations to interviews and responses from Universities.
- Select two options (a ‘firm’ choice and an ‘insurance’ choice); all other offers are rejected.
SUMMER HOLIDAYS (AUGUST)
- Receive your A level results.
- If the grades required by chosen University have not been achieved - apply for other courses through the ‘Clearing’ system.